The key feature is the intersecting flowing lines which represent the meeting place of the River Nith and Afton Water which lies at the heart of the village of New Cumnock.
Indeed on closer inspection the initials ‘nc‘ are revealed in the symbol. Can you see them?
This confluence of the River Nith and Afton Water is very significant in our history. For in this vicinity, long before 1650 when the parish of Cumnock was sub-divided into the two new parishes of Old Cumnock and New Cumnock, once stood Cumnock Castle, Cumnock Mill and Cumnock Maynes. The confluence or meeting of these rivers may well reveal the origin of the place-name Cumnock, from Gaelic comunn achadh ‘meeting place’.
Left: Timothy Pont Manuscript 35 ‘Nithsdale; part of Teviotdale’ (Reproduced by kind permission of the Trustees of the National Library of Scotland)
Friends in New Cumnock Heritage
We believe that a ‘Friends in‘ group gives a much more participative feel than the usual ‘Friends of” groups – and of course we and shorten this to FINCH 🙂
Why not fly along to our Facebook page and join the ‘Friend in New Cumnock Heritage’ …. join here
Auld Kirkyard and Village Heritage Trail
The logo will appear in the Village Heritage Trail and in the Auld Kirkyard leaflets being produced by the Primary School and the Ministers and Soldiers groups.