The Auld Kirk was built in 1659 and that date has been visible on the lintel above the doorway from that time.
That door enters from the east, however there once was another door which saw church-goers enter from the south, but that has been blocked up for many years.
Due to overhanging ivy, this doorway was not visible from outside the kirk
However, with the pruning back of the ivy part of the doorway can now be seen behind one of the headstones.
A closer look and the lintel stone and date is clear.
Our wee kirk was built during turbulent times. Erected in 1659 , the year after Cromwell died and the year before Charles II was restored to the crown …. the rest as they say is history.